Tuesday, July 27, 2010

If you can make it there

So dramatic - but I do believe the world changes faster than we can all comprehend, and it takes us regular humans some time to realize that the ground beneath our feet is quicksand....following my trip in the Sshhhhhh car, I attended a conference in NYC - well, let's back up to my feelings about the Big Apple - I LOVE IT! I was fortunate enough to have parents who took me to the city quite often during the course of my childhood. I saw amazing shows - Dreamgirls in its first week open with Barry Manilow and Lucille Ball (who I met at dinner earlier in the evening) sitting at the end of my row in the audience, Patti LuPone in Evita among others - it truly was where I wanted to be. Of course, when the time came to go to college, New York was the only city off the list, parents were afraid the arts had me in its clutches - which it did.....often wonder what restaurant or retail establishment I'd be working in had I persued that path....how different.....alas, that's not THIS post - :)

So I check in to the conference hotel, the Marriott Marquis, right on Times Square. Now, I have been very aware of the cleaning up of the area to make it more "family friendly" - well, they have succeeded in the Middle Americanizing of one of the most amazing spaces on the planet! If I have to see one more TGIFridays or M&M Store I think my head would explode! Why is it necessary to always remain in the bubble of which we live - what happened to the adventure in life - why wouldn't a family from Iowa or anywhere for that matter enjoy the experience of the local flavor?? What's the deal that we have to go to the same chain restaurants and stay in our comfort bubble? I had Sunday night free so I decided to wander out and grab a bite. I walked away from Times Square and the hoards of families in Mickey Mouse tshirts and flip flops and stumbled upon the Stage deli - I've been to two delis in NYC - the Stage and the Carnegie - both have sandwiches that defy gravity - they serve mouth watering corned beef, pastrami, and have the best pickles!! So, I popped into the Stage for a bite to eat. I sat at the bar and immediately was struck by a note of sadness - the sparkle, the energy, the "je ne sais quoi" - was not there. It was like a woman whose makeup from the night before is in need of some "refreshing"....I thought was it me or was it New York that had changed? The food was delicious - pickles like before but it was just tired. It was tired of upholding a NYC landmark that no one appreciates any longer - like the guest who stayed too long at the party and didn't realize the hosts had gone to bed.

I saw tourists approach the door and ask to see a menu, look at it, and then leave!?? How, how I say could you do that - just look at the plates in front of those who can appreciate the absolute heaven two slices of rye bread, with mounds of pastrami and cole slaw....I say it shouldn't be wasted on them! Let them go back to their chicken ceasar wrap and diet coke, their regular Monday night dinner out moved to Manhattan - I'll take the history, the deliciousness, and the familiarity of an old friend anytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment