Monday, May 24, 2010

Wedding Gowns

What is it? What is my fascination with wedding gowns?? My newest guilty pleasure, Girl meet Gown, is totally voyeuristic and judgmental, and yet, I can't get enough....when the girl walks in with a stack of bridal magazines I break into a giddiness that can't be explained - I think to myself, she's too big to go strapless, too tiny to go ballgown...EEEK! It's Goldilocks and the three gowns! This one is too big, this one is too small....this one makes me cry...I got all gooey when a bride came out crying because she knew that this was the dress....and it was.

Watching this show provides insight into the rise of the modern "Bridezilla" - you can look at the bride and see if she is going to alienate all of her friends and family by the wedding day or if she'll be as sweet and happy as she is shown. And in their gown selection, they reveal more about themselves and their relationships with their friends and family - does her mother love her selection, is she supportive, jealous, wistful, ecstatic? Are the friends jealous, spiteful, cruel?

I love the show especially for the staff and owners of the bridal salon - they handle themselves with such grace and humor. They understand that they are working with women at their most vulnerable - getting married. They understand the bride who changes her mind, whose wedding isn't going to happen, and who wants/needs to lose weight to fit into the gown she has dreamed of since she was 10.

A big thank you to the brides on the show - I appreciate being a part of your special day. You all are beautiful -

No comments:

Post a Comment