Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Moments of clarity

It has been mentioned to me that I'm a bit bitter in my commentary - I prefer to say biting social criticism but you say tomahto, I say tomayto - :) So this past weekend, I went hiking in Lost River State Park - a beautiful day, neighbors down the street had come out for the weekend to the cabin, just the makings of a great day! We arrived at the beginning of the trail which was taking us to a ridge 3700 feet up a mountain and it was right by the horse stables which take people on riding tours of the park. There was a guide and two visitors mounted on their horses in front of us ready to begin their ascent. This one horse cantered by me and she had the most beautiful big blue eyes - and as she passed me, I felt her look right at me - her blue eyes locking with my blue eyes - I had a moment of clarity that we're all part of an amazing experience of life. There's so much magic, wonder, and awe around us if we allow ourselves the moment to see it. Most people would look at the horse and be done, I took a moment to appreciate the pure beauty and grace of her. We're all connected, be we animals, humans, trees, ants, and yes - even snakes. The magic is in understanding and appreciating the interdependency, the emotional fulfillment , and the happiness - pure happiness, that can be gained from making a moment to connect, truly connect, with the world right around you.

Bitter, nah, jaded perhaps, but always amazed and awed.

No comments:

Post a Comment